[19th October – 6th November 2019]
Want to go somewhere well off the beaten track? Sicklebill Safaris and Pitcairn Island Tourism would like to invite you on a voyage to a very special place. Pitcairn Island is located near the centre of the Pacific Ocean and apart from its 3 satellite islands, Dulcie, Ueno and UNESCO listed Henderson, it has no near neighbours. It lies around 5000km from the coasts of both S. America and New Zealand and 2200km from Tahiti and 2100km from Easter Island. It has no airport and the only boats to currently visit are working supply boats and freighters. Consequently, it is rarely visited by non-residents.
The adventure stats in Papeete in Tahiti where you have a 3 night stay before boarding the flight to Mangareva in the Gambier Islands of French Polynesia. From here you will take the newly commissioned MV Bravo Supporter, the Pitcairn supply vessel for a 4 day voyage to Pitcairn Island. 4 days on Pitcairn allow you to explore the islands before setting off back to Mangareva. A flight back to Tahiti and an overnight in Papeete brings you to the end of the tour.
Most of the 51 residents of the island are descendants of the Fletcher Christian’s Bounty Mutineers and their Tahitian consorts. The museum on Pitcairn has some interesting mementoes of the early days on the island. There are a number of homestays on the island and what is said to be the purest honey in the world is made here.
The Pitcairn group of islands offers remarkably pristine habitats. Around the islands is one of the world’s largest marine reserves. Whale watching and snorkelling are possible activities there. Henderson is one of the world’s least disturbed raised coral islands. It has 4 endemic birds including a flightless Rail and is a haven for nesting seabirds. Ducie and Oeno are also important sites for nesting seabirds. The area has just become one of the worlds few International Dark Sky sanctuaries and the clear skies allow fantastic stargazing.
Accommodation in Tahiti is in the comfortable Manava Suite Resort. The MV Bravo Supporter has 6 fully air conditioned spacious twin share cabins that can accommodate up to 12 passengers, each with ample storage, a private ensuite and separate office/lounge area. While on Pitcairn you will be staying in comfortable local home stays.
This is not a difficult tour and can be managed by anyone with a reasonable amount of fitness.
* Single supplement applies only to land-based accommodation in Papeete, French Polynesia.
- Transfers, welcome and 4 nights accommodation in a Garden Studio, Manava Suite Resort in Papeete, Tahiti including breakfast (3 nights pre tour and 1 night post tour)
- A visit to James Norman Hall Museum & half day Tahiti tour.
- Air Tahiti return flights Papeete to Mangareva to board the MV Bravo Supporter
- Twin share cabin aboard the MV Bravo Supporter (Mangareva / Pitcairn Islands return) All meals provided (11 days onboard)
- 4 days on Pitcairn Island, home to the descendants for HMAV Bounty mutineers - all transfers, meals and land based accommodation
- 'Dine with the entire country' at a Pitcairn Island Community Dinner
- Star Gazing at the world's next "International Dark Sky Sanctuary"
- 2 Pitcairn Island Tours, an apiary visits to sample the world’s purest honey, guided walks and a visit to the Pitcairn Island Museum
- A landed visit to World Heritage Site. Henderson Island
- A landed visit to Oeno Island and Ducie Island
- Local Pitcairn island guide for outer islands visits
- Expert tour leader, Andy Schofield from the Royal Society of the Protection of Birds
- Return International flights to Tahiti
- Meals unless otherwise stated