This 10 day tour concentrates on the islands of Gizo & Kolombangara but also visits other small islands with their own endemic White-eyes. Gizo is a a great divers destination while Kolombangara has much to offer both the hardcore birder and the more general naturalist.
While the climb up to the rim of the volcano, where there are a number of endemic birds, is strenuous and not for the faint hearted the lowlands of Kolombangara also have a number of interesting species and offer a much gentler option.
There is a sea crossing between Gizo & Kolombangara which can be bumpy when rough. The lowland trails on Kolombangra can be rough and climb up to the volcano lip is steep, muddy and very strenuous.
- 9 nights accommodation
- Meals as itinerary (check PDF itinerary)
- Transfers for duration of tour
- Guide services of the tour leader
- Site fees
- Travel insurance and other emergencies
- Visa fees and entry clearing fees
- Flights (Domestic & International)
- Drinks & Snacks
- Items of a personal nature
Day 1 - Arrive Honiara
Fly Brisbane to Honiara.
Day 2 - Fly to Gizo
Take the early flight to Gizo. Spend the balance of the day around Gizo looking for Gizo White-eye, White-capped Monarch and Steel-blue Flycatcher.
Day 3 - Travel to Hambere
Take a boat over to Hambere on Kolombangara visiting the islands of Vella Lavella and Ranongga for their endemic white-eyes on the way.
Day 4 - Explore Hambere area
Exploring the Hambere area. This is a great place for Roviana Rail and other lowland species.
Day 5 - Travel to Imbu Rano
Travel to Imbu Rano and explore the forest trails around the lodge.
Day 6 - Hike for Kolombangara Leaf Warbler
Hike up the mountain to the lip of the volcano for Kolombangara Leaf Warbler.
Day 7 - Morning in Cloud Forest & afternoon hike to Imbu Rano
Early morning in the cloud forest then hike back down to Imbu Rano.
Day 8 - Explore Imbu Rano
Another day exploring the Imbu Rano area.
Day 9 - Travel back to Honiara
Travel back to Gizo. Take afternoon flight to Honiara.
Day 10 - Onward flights home
Fly back to Brisbane.
Extensions to this tour can include:
• Diving and snorkeling on Gizo
• Fly to Munda and take boat to the islands of Tetepare and Rendoza for a few days. Here there are soon to be split white-eyes, some great snorkeling, cultural activities, turtles, canoeing and hiking.